Saturday 25 October 2008

Arch Linux

So, I downloaded the Arch Linux .iso and got to work installing it on my tester PC. Install was relatively painless, (suprisingly fast might I add), it had me selecting exactly the packages I wanted which was a nice touch, then had me edit my own config files, which struck me as kind of opaque for newbie users. I had no problem having done them all before, but I'd imagine someone less experienced being a little put off. Everything is well documented on their site (http://archlinux.org), they have quite an impressive wiki going there.

Now. How does it run then? Not too badly, I had the usual trouble with Xorg not finding drivers and what-not (right now that computer is still X-less...) but thats more my fault than Arch's, I chose to install an sshd too, and that doesn't work for some reason, keep getting an error when I try to login remotely. Thats another day's problem though... Pacman (Arch's wonderfully named package manager) seems alright, took me a while to figure out to be honest, I'm used to apt-get.

Conclusion: Quite a nice distro if you know what you're doing, if you're comfortable with editing config files yourself then go for it!

No comments: