Tuesday 11 November 2008

Ruby Update

Last night I cracked out Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide and did a bit of learning. I'd done a bit of Ruby programming before I learned C, and this book brought back a few good memories... all the nice little things you can do such as capitalising a string by simply doing "yourstring.capitalize". Delicious. Plus regexp is built in! Madness! Yeah, I think I like Ruby.

I'll give you more details as I learn more, I didn't write much in the way of actual code last night, I'm still learning how it all hangs together.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Of all Ruby features you decide to mention string capitalization? What about blocks, iterators and all the real cool stuff? Things like string capitalization are supposed to be easy in a high-level language like this. Don't sound so shocked.

Joshua Lockhart said...

Sorry flamer steve. Yes, blocks are indeed nice. Haven't got to the iterators and all the "real cool stuff" yet though. That'll be tonights reading no doubt.